Pages

8/02/2009

Asparagus - Part II

You definitely have to be patient with Asparagus. It's now August afer initially planting my roots in March. I had sworn off buying asparagus roots ever again, because none of my roots had surfaced by early May. I was sure they were all duds. But then in late May and early June, they all started to slowly sprout up. Before too long, all but 1 had sprouted out of 18 planted. Not too shabby.

Towards the end of July we decided to change homes. I figured the asparagus was still small, and I would try to transplant them to a new home. Put the roots (and small stalks) in a bucket with hardly any dirt. I had every intention of replanting them in their new home right away. "Right away" turned into a couple of weeks with no water. The plants all appeared dead. I was fairly certain they were, but replanted them anyway. They have since all ALL resprouted. I may have set back the maximum productive capabilities, but they're alive!

This is truly a miracle vegetabe, in my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment