Pages

12/19/2015

Green & White Chili

White & Green Chili
I like green chili. I like white chili. So I did a mix, and it worked. Matter-oh-fact, it even worked for the toddler (which is a huge plus) AND it has lots of veggies. Score!

This might look like a weird recipe list, but it's how I measure/store things in my house. It's a very flexible recipe anyhow, so do your best, in the event that you're actually reading/making this.
  • 1/2 cup onion, finely diced (or roughly one small onion)
  • 1/2 cup green bell pepper (or roughly one large green bell pepper)
  • 1-2 teaspoons (or finely diced cloves) of garlic
I keep onions & bell pepper pre-chopped in the freezer, at all the times. And have pre-chopped garlic in the fridge (by the jar). Toss these in a hot skillet (preferably an iron skillet), and saute just a bit, but don't go overboard. Keep your bell peppers bright green. If you want, cook the onions first, then add the peppers (I like my onions to turn brown).

  • 1/2 cup of diced or shredded pre-cooked chicken or turkey (again, I keep this in the freezer, but you could even use canned for this recipe, in a pinch)
  • 1 can or 1 cups worth of white beans (any white bean really, or lentils even)
  • ~8 ice cubes worth of chicken bone broth (or basically just enough chicken broth, canned or homemade, to cover everything up nicely, but man is homemade chicken bone broth tasty. It's much darker than normal chicken broth, when I make it. )
  • 1/2 cup of salsa verde (tomatillo and cilantro)
  • Nice dose of cumin
  • Nice dose of oregano  and/or thyme (fresh or dry). I usually just use Zahtar (which I always have on hand from the Mediterranean market, and it's the cheapest way to get lots of thyme, plus for some reason it just tastes better than normal dried thyme).

Cook all of this until it's good an hot.
  • At the end, add a large handful of kale, finely diced (like parsley, basically). 
  • Dice up some extra cilantro if you like too.
Cook that until it's just wilted then serve.

Top each bowl with some sour cream and/or cheese (I like Parmesan even though that's not traditional for chili, just b/c the flavor goes a long ways w/o adding too much. 2nd favorite's extra sharp cheddar. If I'm out of fresh cheese or sour cream, then I just add whole milk.

For me, almost every ingredient is already on hand, pre-prepped, in the fridge or freezer, and this is an incredibly easy and fast meal to prepare. You don't have to simmer for a long time, with this dish, so you can make the whole thing in one pot/pan (dutch oven or iron skillet). Winner, no matter how how you look at it.


No comments:

Post a Comment